Saturday, June 18, 2011

Key Lime Pie For Your Soul!

Got the summer citrus dessert cravings yet? Maybe you just want a vacation in your mouth. This is a super simple, hard to botch freezer dessert. I've already eaten two of these. So, I had to get photos before my hubs ate the other half of the batch. I usually don't tell people (at potlucks etc.) what is in my pie or puddings, because some people haven't eaten the main ingredient before. It's the amazing, beautiful, ugly, don't judge a book by it's cover avocado!

OK, you MIGHT have heard Avocados are the shiz nit. Here is some general info, just in case.

I could do a month of posts on avocado recipes alone. It never fails me. It's good in just about everything, my favorite way is right off the pit. It makes a great snack, meal, supplement, thickener, savory, sweet friend to just about .. everything.

The avocado pudding/pie has certainly been done before. Although I find most recipes for raw desserts a little heavy on the nuts, too sweet and too complicated, although almost always beautiful.

This is EASY. (and way healthier than the SAD version!) And you can use this as a template for any 'pie' you want to invent. Changing up the filling when needed. I've made this pie with Cocao, banana, strawberries and plain vanilla bean (and coconut meat). The only thing is when you get into blueberries, mango etc.. you'll need to sub part or all of the avocado with nuts, more oil or psyllium, irish moss etc. It's a big experiment, that's for sure.. and there may be times you eat it out of a bowl, but that's okay! Remember that the coconut oil is important. When it freezes, it makes your filling a custard-cheesecake consistency. A blender is nice for this, but if you have the patience, you can hand whip the avocado. Halving this recipe doesn't work so well. It can be a pain to get the blender really going with a smaller amount than this. Besides, this is so good, you'll wish you made more!

Jo's Key Lime Pie (6 smallish servings)

Filling:
2 Avocados
2 Tbs Lime Juice
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil (did I say it was low fat? Whoops)
2 Tbs Raw Honey (any honey really, I don't favor date syrup with this, experiment)

Crust:
1/2 Cup Almond Pulp (I used leftovers from making milk- finely ground almonds/almond flour will work)
1/2 Cup Dates (not soaked)
Pinch of Salt
Pinch of Cayenne (may think I'm crazy.. that's just how I like it..the spicy/sweet thing)

*Blend all filling ingredients together. Set aside.
*For the crust, process dates and almond pulp (and salt/cayenne) together until smooth(ish).
*Press the crust into greased or lined muffin tins (or custard dish, whatever you've got really).
*Spoon in filling. Freeze for 1-2 hours.. if it freezes hard, like ice cream, just leave out for 5 minutes before eating (of course you could have key lime pudding instead of freezing, but chill first for best taste.

If you love this and want to make it for a potluck, grab a spring form pan (smallish), double/triple the recipe and top with shredded coconut for looks, and taste- coconut loves lime- you know.. put da lime in da coconut?

Nutritional Info (according to Spark recipes)
233g Calories
14g Fat
525mg Potassium
276. g Carbs
8g Fiber
18.2 g Sugar
4.4g Protein
and bunches of vitamins and minerals

Allrecipes.com's top Key Lime Pie recipe (at 6 servings:
324 calories per serving
13.4 g of bad fat (versus healthy avocado/coconut oil-good fat)
37 g of sugar!

23 comments:

  1. nice blog! Love the pictures and recipes (=

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious! We'd like to invite you to submit this to our blog: http://bit.ly/2t7o7u Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is the nutritional information for one serving or the whole recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the decimal point is in the incorrect spot on the carb count =) This looks amazing - can't wait to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is positively scrumptious!!! I added a tad more honey and because I used lemon juice I added a bit more for tang. The cayenne idea was brilliant. Making this for Sunday's luncheon. People won't even know what they're eating. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG! Just stumbled across this gem as we were looking for a worthy use for our leftover almond pulp. Wow! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried this recipe last night and added a bit of lime zest to the mix. I will probably add more lime next time and make sure the filling is whiped really well (I used my hand blender but when it froze there were definitely chucks of the coconut oil). The crust was PERFECT! Will use that more often. Now to try the "cheescake" recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You do not haνе to commit hours at the
    gym oг eхert ѕo signіfісantly еffort
    anԁ eneгgy in undertakіng
    ωoгκ out јuѕt to bе cаpable to tonе уour muscle
    tіssues.

    Also vіѕit mу ωeb-site; flex belt reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thеse comρonents also function togethеr to suppоrt lіghten
    the skin аnd prеseгve thе all rоund loοk nаtuгal аnd constant.


    Heгe іs mу weblοg; http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/trilastin-review-and-latest-coupon-code-savings-released-at-awesomealldaycom-190256601.html
    my webpage :: www.wiki.qrpid.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks great! I am making it this weekend. Can you tell me how to make almond pulp?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great, but I wonder if your carb information is correct... That's more than most people eat in a day!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry to say this was just horrible. I quadrupled the recipe to make it in a springform pan and it came out so very oily, it is inedible. I kept the proportions the same and I let it freeze overnight, but it tastes like chapstick. I think maybe coconut milk (or cocount cream from the top of the can) instead of some or all of the oil might be a huge improvement. Or agar-agar flakes.

    The crust was good, and I have some left over.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have made this mistake before. Yet I still tried this recipe. Avocados have no place in a dessert! So gross. My 19 month old daughter liked it, but she has never had real key lime pie before. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sorry to say, but this was awful. My boyfriend loves key lime pie so I made this for him and he could barely eat it. It tastes like a giant avocado. :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just noticed you call for unsoaked dates. I bought dehydrated dates today, should I soak them?

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the chocolate & avocado desserts I've tried, but I couldn't get this recipe to work for me. Not sure if it was user error or just not a recipe I prefer. I added extra lime juice & zest, but I could still taste the avocado, and the texture was oily. I did use expeller-pressed coconut oil, so maybe I'll try again with a smaller batch sometime using virgin coconut oil. Maybe the stronger coconut flavor of virgin oil would help matters.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The first type is present from birth while the second type is not, but starts to appear and proliferate as the years pass.
    Fortunately, there are a variety of skin tag removal treatments you can use.
    The skin tags will be cut with a method that is
    in accordance with their location on the body and size.


    Here is my web blog; skin tags remover

    ReplyDelete
  18. There are a lot of different was to make name badges: this is just one
    example. Do this method up to four times a day until the skin tag falls off.
    The brown-slatted background in the image above really isn't part of the technique I was trying to demonstrate here.

    Take a look at my web page ... vulvar skin tags

    ReplyDelete
  19. This recipe was great! I doubled the recipe and made in a pie plate. it was definitely a crowd pleaser! If you have problems with the consistency being too oily, just keep blending! I put the filling ingredients in the blender and re-stirred several times, adjusting the power levels frequently. it finally turned into a pudding-like texture. yum!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I just missed the filling and I have to agree, just tastes like a giant avocado...I'm disappointed that I just wasted all of that coconut oil and avocado...maybe I'll save it in the fridge as a face mask?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Please advise dont have coconut oil for the filling what can I use
    Tks

    ReplyDelete
  22. Please advise dont have coconut oil for the filling what can I use
    Tks

    ReplyDelete
  23. Tasted more like frozen avacado to me. But I like the crust I ground almonds in my magic bullet to make it. Will use that as a base again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your input!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...